Finding the best moving company that suits your needs can mean the difference between serenity and disaster. North Park Transfer & Storage encourages you to use these helpful moving tips during your next relocation.
- Be aware of what moving companies offer.
- Each business has unique strengths and weaknesses.
- Obtain quotes from multiple entities to ensure you are getting the best price without hidden or added fees.
- Be upfront and ask any questions you may have about the move.
- Search for professional businesses.
- Verify that the moving company you have entrusted is licensed and certified.
- Check to see if the company belongs to the American Moving & Storage Association.
- Discuss the level of training employees possess.
- Consider the expenses of moving yourself against that of a moving company.
- Boxes and other packing materials
- Vehicle rental prices
- Gas prices
- Time spent on the move
- Dolly and floor pad rentals
- Variable insurance options
In a move, time is one of the most valuable assets. The more proactive you are when it comes to planning and scheduling the move, the easier the event will be on your big day. North Park Transfer & Storage has arranged this packing to move checklist.
2 Months Prior to Your Move
- Contact a real estate broker to develop a strategy to get your home on the market and sold.
- Notify your current utility providers of the upcoming move.
- Contact North Park Transfer & Storage to begin coordinating the stages of your move.
- If your relocation is work-related, reach out to your employer to see if they can subsidize the move. If they are willing to pay, be sure to keep an organized record of all expenses for yourself and your employer.
- An occupationally motivated move may also qualify you for tax deductions. For more information, contact the IRS or your personal accountant.
- Get acquainted with your new residence and community. Learn where important facilities like banks, schools, and government offices are located.
- Update your address records with Social Security.
- Start determining what items you’ll bring with you and those you can donate or dispose of.
- Be sure to schedule an ample amount of time off work ahead of time so your employer can plan accordingly.
1 Month Prior to Your Move
- Confirm your move date and whether you will be using North Park Transfer & Storage to store any of your valuables before or after the move. Our custom designed Portland storage spaces can accommodate nearly any item.
- For interstate or nation-wide moves, be sure to make any hotel reservations in advance. to guarantee you and your family have a place to stay during the process.
- Inform the United States Postal Service of the changes in your address and collect any essential documents you may need.
3 Weeks Prior to Your Move
- If you haven’t already begun, start organizing and packing your belongings from least used to most used.
- North Park Transfer & Storage offers long-term and short-term options for storing belongings if you encounter any issues with packing.
2 Weeks Prior to Your Move
- Handle any upcoming bills you may have ahead of time so you don’t forget to do so during the heat of the move.
- Transfer medical documents to any new health professionals you plan on seeing after your move.
- Prepare any outdoor tools and equipment you may have. Drain any gas, oil or grease that may leak from the equipment during the move.
- In light of preparing equipment, make sure your car has been serviced and is running smoothly before driving to your new residence.
- Plan to have any other appliances moved either by North Park Transfer & Storage or yourself.
1 Week Prior to Your Move
- Discontinue any monthly services you are using that you don’t plan to continue using at your new residence.
- Identify any items that are essential to your everyday functionality. These can be things like electronics, clothes, water bottles and footwear.
- Have your luggage and personal items packed and organized.
- Anticipate how much cash you plan to carry with you on your move date.
- Confirm cost and payment options with the professional moving company you have chosen.
Moving Tips and Advice about Boxes
- Plan box sizes accordingly. You need a box that offers your valuables the correct amount of space. Nothing too big and nothing too small.
- Always place the heaviest items at the bottom of the box first.
- Don’t be shy with tape. Be sure to cover both the top and bottom of the boxes.
- Keep your boxes labeled and organized for specific rooms.
- If you have any special items, discuss them with your moving company and see if they have a box to fit that need.
- Always use new and undamaged boxes.
- If you are particularly concerned about clothing, ask your mover for a wardrobe box.
What to Take Along
Having all your essentials on hand can make the transition into your new home much easier. North Park Transfer & Storage suggests following this moving advice to make sure you have what you need when your move comes. Make sure you don’t forget:
- Cash or credit cards
- House and car keys
- Photo identification/Credentials
- Moving paperwork
- First Aid Kit
- Car registration and insurance paperwork
- Water and beverages
- Pillows and blankets
- Pet food and bowls
- Disinfectant wipes
- Valuables/Sentimental objects
- Kids and pet toys